October 31, 2007

Clever Jesus Twist


This idea that Church waits to see what the culture is doing then produces a D grade version with some sort of clever Jesus twist to me is utter blasphemy.

-Rob Bell


I don't particularly have anything to add to it, but if you care about the church, I think you should read this interview with Rob Bell (*the link isn't working anymore for some reason, so I've provided the Google cached version instead). I used to think that he was just a new hyped up guy that was trying too hard to be trendy and "on the edge", but I think I was very wrong.



Edit: Okay, I changed my mind. I just want to include a few snippets for those of you who are never going to click on that link above and read that whole long interview. These were the parts that got me fired up.

Our assumption is that Church is where you say the things that have to be said. So people will speak but say, "Oh, I wouldn't say that in church." Well then, where would you say it? To me, it's the place where you would push it the furthest. A faith community should be the place with the most honesty and vulnerability and prophetic culture—calling things what they are.

*****
I don't believe in Christian art or music. The word Christian was originally a noun. A person, not an adjective. I believe in great art. If you are an artist, your job is to do great art and you don't need to tack on the word Christian. It's already great. God is the God of Creativity. Categories desecrate the art form. It's either great art or it isn't.

*****
Until you have a community that you are journeying with, please don't say you are a part of this church. You just come to a gathering. We are very intentional about that. The question is, "Who do you call when your brother ODs on cocaine? If your mom is in the hospital, who comes and sits in the waiting room with you? When you cannot pay your rent, who do you go to and say please help me out?" That's your church.

-Rob Bell


Okay, now I'm done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i thought this guy was going to be a total flash-in-the-pan phenomenon, and maybe that's true. but this article makes me want to pick up his book (provided he's not totally disjointed in it - was he even answering the questions they asked him?)