May 19, 2008

I Don't Understand Why We Need A Manifesto

There's been a lot of blogging about the document, drawn up by a group of evangelicals, known as the Evangelical Manifesto. You can read the summary here, or the full length thing here, or go to its very own blog here.

They list three major mandates for Evangelicals:

  1. Reaffirm our identity. Evangelicals are Christians who define themselves, their faith, and their lives according to the Good News of Jesus of Nazareth.
  2. This isn't exactly revolutionary, is it? It even admits, later on, that "to define our faith and our life by the Good News of Jesus is [not] unique to us," which is something I'm glad to see added. But I think I'm confused about the point of this... point.

  3. Reform our own behavior. Always reforming, if you will.
  4. This is a really good principle to live by, especially when it comes to religion. All religions.

  5. Rethink our place in public life.
  6. I can't help but think that this might be better accomplished by less manifestos.



I don't really want to complain about or denounce the document. I'm actually quite thankful for a lot of the things said in it, especially in the way things were said in a lot of places. I'm just not sure I understand why we needed it.

No comments: